Child Abuse Prevention Month–April
Family & Children’s Center offers a continuum of care with services ranging from outpatient counseling to treatment foster care, but child abuse prevention is a main area of focus for our agency. We have multiple programs dedicated to keeping kids safe, ensuring the health & wellness of families, early intervention and helping to mitigate the effects of trauma for victims of abuse. These programs include:
- Healthy Families – home visiting program – La Crosse, WI
- Stepping Stones – child advocacy center – La Crosse, WI
- Hope Academy – alternative education program for pregnant/parenting teen moms & their children – La Crosse, WI
- Matty’s Place – child advocacy center – Winona, MN
We partner with the community to ensure the health & safety of families and their children throughout the year, but we come together during April to support Child Abuse & Neglect Prevention Month to spread awareness of the cause. Child abuse has NO place in our communities. It is everyone’s responsibility to keep kids safe because when kids grow up safe, happy & healthy, the community becomes a stronger and better place to live.
April is full of activities to get involved with Child Abuse Prevention! Find out how you can join in the cause in your community below.
Join Family & Children’s Center and the Coulee Region Child Abuse Prevention Task Force in the La Crosse area for:
- Thursday, March 30: Bikers Against Child Abuse Balloon Release – Cass Street Bridge in La Crosse – 5:15 pm
- Friday, March 31: Blue Ribbon Breakfast & Mayoral Proclamation – 7:30 am (Limited Space)
- Friday, March 31: Pinwheels for Prevention – Terry Erickson Club of Boys & Girls Club, 1331 Clinton St – 4 pm
- Saturday, April 8: Family Fun Walk – Myrick Park, La Crosse – 11 am – 1 pm
- Tuesday, April 18: Dairy Queen Fundraiser 6-9 pm – South La Crosse – 10% of sales benefit FCC’s Healthy Families program
Join Family & Children’s Center and the Winona Child Abuse Prevention Council for:
- Monday, April 3: “Hands are for…” Kick-off Event & Mayoral Proclamation at Winona National Bank, Main Street – 5:30 pm
- Saturday, April 8: Godfather’s Pizza Fundraiser 5-8 pm – 10% of sales donated to Winona Child Abuse Prevention Council
- Tuesday, April 11: Blue Kids Planting at Family & Children’s Center – 601 Franklin Street – 2 pm
- Tuesday, April 25: Blooming Grounds Fundraiser – All Day – 10% of sales donated to Winona Child Abuse Prevention Council
- Wednesday, April 26: Child Abuse Awareness Walk – Winona State University – starts at the Gazebo at 4:30 pm
We encourage you to join the cause in your own special way. Show your support by: wearing royal blue, hanging blue ribbons, planting pinwheels, color your own pinwheels (coloring sheet here), attend a training that educate you on how to keep kids safe, thank a caregiver and be the responsible adult in all kids’ lives!