If you are 1 in 4, there’s hope
If you are (or think you may be) 1 in 4, treatment can be very effective. In fact, as many as four out of five people with a mental illness can effectively return to their normal activities once they receive appropriate treatment.
Several treatment options are available today. The one that’s right for you will depend on the type of illness and the severity of symptoms. Oftentimes, a combination of treatments and supports yield the best results.
Your doctor or therapist can help you determine what’s right for you. Treatment options usually include one or a combination of the following therapies:
- Medication, e.g., antidepressants, anti-anxiety, mood-stabilizing, antipsychotic
- Group therapy
- Day treatment or partial hospital treatment
- Residential treatment
- Art, music or play therapy
- Alternative therapies, e.g., water therapy, massage, biofeedback, hypnotherapy
- Brain stimulation treatments, e.g., electroconvulsive therapy, vagus nerve stimulation, transcranial magnetic stimulation