You can become a part of the life changing work that we do. With your unique skills, abilities, and experience you can help make a difference in your community. Please know that the majority of our opportunities are intermittent.
- Tutors: Volunteer tutors work with teen and young adult students in the areas of basic literacy, math, and digital literacy skills. Volunteer tutors are needed in our Hope Academy program. Most tutors volunteer two-to-four hours per week between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., and help in the areas they feel most comfortable. Teaching experience is not required, just a desire to share the basic skills that are so important for people to have a good quality of life and help their families in our community.
- Development Office: Be a part of the team that coordinates fundraising, community relations and agency communications. Inquire about internship opportunities available in this office, as well.
- Events: If you are unable to volunteer on a regular basis, we are always looking for help with special events. Most volunteers in this category join event planning committees that meet intermittently throughout the year. There are also several one-time volunteer opportunities in this category. Current event opportunities include:
- An Evening at Monte Carlo: Join the planning committee that meets bi-monthly from April to November. The casino night supports our child abuse prevention programs.
- Lube-A-Thon: This event offers free oil changes with a $10 minimum donation and car washes for a $5 minimum donation to Family & Children’s Center. Volunteers are needed to greet customers, wash cars, accept donations or work in the food tent at all 3 locations (Onalaska, La Crosse, Winona. Lube-A-Thon takes place on a Saturday in September.
- Programming: Work with the youth or adults in one of our programs. Assist staff with day to day operations, or help complete special projects. Please know licensing and certification guidelines prohibit volunteer placement in the vast majority of our programs; these opportunities are very limited.
- Currently looking for a volunteer to cook meals for and with residents in our youth home. We are also looking for someone to make birthday cakes or treats for the residents.
- Join an Advisory Committee
- Hope Academy Advisory Committee
To learn more about current volunteer opportunities or to inquire, contact us.
(608) 785-0001, ext. 257
*You must be at least 21 years of age and pass a criminal background check to volunteer at Family & Children’s Center due to state licensing regulations. We do not allow volunteers in need of court-ordered community service hours.