Healthy Families Home Visiting
Healthy Families is a home visiting program offered to new or expecting parents who are struggling with the demands and stress of raising a child. The program is based on a national model from Healthy Families America with more than 30 years of research to prove effectiveness. FCC’s Family System Specialists have been visiting expectant and new parents in La Crosse since 1992.
Parents find that the program helps them learn more about their babies’ development. They are also connected to medical care and other area resources, work on and achieve goals important to themselves and their new baby. They are better able to provide a safe and nurturing environment for their baby and appreciate the support they receive.
For those interested in Healthy Families, a Family System Specialist will make an initial home visit during pregnancy or just after the baby is born. They will discuss the family’s interest in receiving services.
The specialists begin working with the family sometime between prenatal care and when the baby reaches 3 months old. They work with the family until the baby is 5 years old or starts kindergarten. The program is voluntary and free of charge thanks to many generous community partners.
- The importance of their role as a parent
- How to talk with their baby
- What to do when their baby seems ill
- What to do when their baby cries for long periods
- What to expect from their baby at different age levels
- New ways of coping with the stresses of caring for their baby
- Make connections with healthy community resources
Other benefits of Healthy Families:
- All babies stay up-to-date with immunization
- All families remain linked to a physician or clinic
- Teen mothers complete high school
- Parents become more self-sufficient and less socially isolated
- For every $3 spent on prevention, at least $6 is saved that might otherwise have been spent on child welfare, medical care, foster care and legal services
To learn more about Healthy Families, call (608) 785-0001 ext. 285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Healthy Families helps several families each year. Here is just one family’s story.
Interested in more Healthy Families success stories? Click the names under program information to the right, or check out the rest at Family & Children’s Center’s success stories.